Raksha Bandhan- Festival laced with love, fun and shopping opportunities :)

So Rakshabandhan is over for this year.

I love this festival for what it symbolizes.'Raksha Bandhan' or 'Rakhi' is a special occasion to celebrate the emotional bonding and love that exists between a brother and sister. It's conveyed by the sister tying a holy thread around the wrist of her brother. This thread, which pulsates with sisterly love and sentiments, is rightly called the ‘Rakhi’. It means 'a bond of protection'.The ritual is observed on the full moon day of the Hindu month of Shravan, on which sisters tie the sacred Rakhi string on their brothers' right wrists, and pray for their long life. Rakhis are ideally made of silk with gold and silver threads, beautifully crafted embroidered sequins, and studded with semi precious stones.

After the Rakhi is tied by the sister, he brother in return offers a gift to his sister and vows to look after her as she presents sweets to him.  The brother and sister traditionally feed one another sweets.

It's one of those Indian festivals that I am genuinely fond of. But as is the case with all other festivals in today's times, this has also got highly commercialized. On this day, most consumer items are discounted and there are umpteen offers on many of them. The retail folks would play with people's emotions by calling it an 'eternal' gift from the brother to the sister etc. But this is one instance that I don't complain about media being misused. Tee hee! It gives me an opportunity to indulge in retail therapy:) as well. As is the case, my brother whines during this festival as I get his pocket to get lighter by making him buy my favorite bag or anything else that catches my fancy. Of course, it's  whining that's carried out with love and affection. LOL! Ahem..let's not waste too much time on his emotions. It's our time to shop and get happy.

Since last 2 rakshabandhans, I have been indulging in bags. For some reasons, I am obsessed with bags. I have a very funny way of buying them as well. It's a joke in the family. The bag that catches my fancy has to call out to me to buy it. Tee hee! That's how I would take it home. For the previous Rakshabandhan, I had purchased a Baggit bag and for the one prior to that, it was a Holii bag 


My Baggit Bag
(Baggit Bags


Holii Bag


For Hooli Bags- http://www.holii.in/categories/Holii-Ladies-Accessories-Bags-Hand-Bags/cid-CU00042229.aspx



This Rakshabandhan, I got more fussy. There were no bags calling out. Sigh!!! Finally after visiting 3 malls, I found my dream bag at the Esbeda store. It's one pretty looking thing. You can join the facebook site for Esbeda if you want more details related to their promos. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Esbeda/132757520074966#!/esbeda/info


Awaiting the next Rakshabandhan...Brother is not! LOL!

"Brother and sister, together as friends, ready to face whatever life sends. Joy and laughter or tears and strife, holding hands tightly as we dance through life."

Comments

Popular Posts